Powering the emonTx
=Power Supply Limits
Approximate Max power consumption: Basic Setup
- ATmega: 7.5mA
- RFM12B: 14mA
- Op-amps + switches: 1mA
- 4 x LED's: 40mA
Advanced Temperature setup
- Basic Setup: 63mA
- 8 x DS18B20: 18mA - although temp sensor are powered from 5V line so not drawing from 3.3V MCP1702
Advanced RF Setup + Advanced Temperature
- Xbee: 50mA / RN-XV Wifi:38mA /XRF:36mA
- Advanced Temperature
Ultimate setup: as above but plus Wiznet Ethernet (120mA) '''= Grand Total: 250mA'''
As it happens this is the maximum current output of the MCP1702 voltage regulator!
Note: RF module power consumption was when they are Tx'in, this won't be happening all the time.
CT Energy Monitoring
Current Only (Apparent Power)
Voltage and Current (Real Power)
Reading Directly from Utility Meters
The emonTx has inputs to connect multiple DS18B20 one-wire digital temperature sensors. By default these sensor are powered from the 5V line (supplied from the USB) if powering the board from the 3xAAA battery holder the 3V and 5V power rails should be connected together to enable the sensors to be powered from 3.3V. This can easily by done by jumpering the 5V and 3.3V on the JeePort.
Caution: This jumper should be removed before a usb connection is plugged into the board. No voltage greater than 5.5V should be connected to the Aux input when DS18B20 temperature sensors are connected.
emonTx SMT Prototype V0.6 rev 1 Testing
Questions to Answer:
- Can a 0603 resistor supply enough current to the LED's 1/16W=62.5mW = 18.9mA MAX @ 3.3V. Give a 1.8 Vf LED 10mA with a 160R resistor 16mA through Resistor = safe but will LED be bright enough?
- Simulations show that if the emonTxSMT draws 20mA @ 3.3V then the power spikes through R5 and D1 will be about 1.5Wp at max mains voltage (16.76Vp) or 1.35Wp at typical mains voltage (15.5Vp).
The V0.6 rev1 prototype has got pads for a 1206 resistor & diode R23 and D1 which can do up to 1/4W at a push, mostly 1/8W. Standard SMT resistors go up to 1W (2512)
Changes to make to make.
- The AC power circuit needs also to be fused to match peak rating of components
- The rectifier diode and D1 and current limiting resistor R23 need to be swapped round?
- Increase PTC fuse on micro USB to 1206, their half the price for same 500mA rating.